Wednesday, April 22, 2015

The start of new journeys

2015 has been a great year so far.  In January, I started the NEIS program, which is a great way to give yourself time to explore a new business idea while getting financial support to do so.

The past couple of years have been an interesting journey figuring out where I fit in creatively, and if working creatively is even the right fit for me career-wise.  Work and 'what you do' is a regular topic, and I have chatted to a number of people going down the creative career path deciding that it wasn't for them as it took the pleasure out of making.

I have not even finished my 1st month of working for myself and found that it really is a matter of jumping, then figuring everything out on the way down.  The excitement of change has become secondary to new challenges and unexpected surprises that happen along the way.  

While I get into the rhythm of this new way of working and living, I have found immense pleasure in stolen moments by myself where I get to read snippets of novels from second hand bookshops waiting for print paste to dry or dye to set, working outside in the backyard on a still autumn afternoon, and the overall satisfaction of making and getting my hands dirty.

These moments and snippets in time may not be constant, but I hope next time I am exhausted from getting ready for a market, typing a monster grant application or order the wrong equipment, I remember that happy times exist and will return!  

Photos are of a new fabric design using dyes I have been working on this week during earlier mentioned autumn afternoons...


 





No comments: